Freesteel Blog » Kicad tech

Kicad tech

Friday, January 22nd, 2016 at 1:03 pm Written by:

The old hang-glider flight logger is falling apart due to shoddy wiring, strip board soldering, being crammed into a 3D printed plastic box and then thrown about in my bag and on the field for a year.

The new way to do things is to design the circuit separately and then cut a special PCB for it.

I’ve been extracting and running the individual components as best I can, including digging into the airspeed probe wheatstone bridge, which unfortunately needs an INA125 amplifier that I had stupidly soldered down onto the board instead of using a socket.

I’ve got very little understanding of the numerous files created by kicad, but I have committed them. Here is the diagram of the circuit:


Now I got to tidy the mess on the desk up and see if any of the electronics still works as well as it once did before I tried to reverse engineer my own work.

Maybe I should have done it this way in the first place. But then that would have added another wall into the learning curve. (The learning curve is the amount you can get done on the X-axis vs how much you need to know to get that amount done on the Y-axis, so a shallow curve means you can get stuff done without needing to know too much.)

Next job is to get some help laying out circuits from someone who has done it before. I hope to sandwich it between two sheets of laser cut acrylic and find some slick way of mounting it on the glider so I don’t kick it on the first day.

Not only that, I’ve got to get back to looking at the data so far. As usual, hardware hacking is a lot more fun than doing the software. This distraction must end. Normal service will be resumed.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <strong>